HIMSS Analytics honors Walnut Hill Medical Center with Stage 6 recognition
HIMSS Analytics recently announced Walnut Hill Medical Center (WHMC) has achieved Stage 6 on the EMR Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM). Walnut Hill Medical Center, a brand new 100-bed hospital located in the heart of Dallas, is renowned for its innovation and focus on patient-centered care.
HIMSS Analytics developed the EMR Adoption Model in 2005 as a methodology for evaluating the progress and impact of electronic medical record systems for hospitals in the HIMSS Analytics Database. Tracking their progress in completing eight stages (0-7), hospitals can review the implementation and utilization of information technology applications with the intent of reaching Stage 7, which represents an advanced electronic patient record environment. The second highest level of the HIMSS Analytics’ Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM), Stage 6 requirements include the demonstrated use of electronic physician documentation, clinical decision support, computerized provider order entry and closed-loop medication administration, among other clinical support tools.
Stage 6 hospitals:
- Have made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage.
- Appear to have a significant advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Have almost fully automated/paperless medical records when they have implemented their IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Are either starting to evaluate their data for care delivery process improvements or have already documented significant improvements in this area.
- Have made investments that are within reach of most hospitals and recognize the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Have begun to create strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment.
- Are well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
Stage 6 hospitals also have achieved a significant advancement in their IT capabilities that position them to successfully address many of the current industry transformations, such as meaningful use criteria in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, claims attachments for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, pay for performance, and government quality reporting programs.
“I am very proud of our team and the physicians as they came together to use the technology to further enable patient care delivery,” said Cory Countryman, Chief Executive Officer at Walnut Hill Medical Center. “Since the day we opened our doors to the community in April 2014, the Walnut Hill Medical Center team has continuously provided exceptional patient care while leveraging the technology tools towards making that happen.”
“HIMSS Analytics congratulates Walnut Hill Medical Center for leading the way toward health IT adoption,” said John Hoyt, FACHE, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS Analytics. “Stage 6 represents a level of sophistication that only 1,440 U.S. hospitals have reached to date.”
Trackback from your site.